CLIENT/PARTNERS: Greater Amsterdam New York Area including City of Amsterdam, Towns of Florida and Amsterdam, and Montgomery County.
NEED: The Greater Amsterdam area is a pocket of latent economic opportunity shaped by picturesque geography, intact historic building stock. With leadership fully prepared to restructure the area in a creative, new-economy mold, the area needed to find ways to bring about deep and sustainable economic and perception change, anchor opportunities for a more sustainable economy, and help renew energy within this formerly industrial-mill-driven river community.
V&A ROLE & SERVICES:
- Opportunity Analysis. This included:
- Study of emerging regional impact trends
- Building stock and infrastructure analysis
- Visioning of Future Economic Opportunities. The team developed a new vision for a sustainable economic future of the region, including:
- Opportunity Identification
- Priority site identification
- First steps identification and prioritization
- Funding identification
- Near-term Real Estate Opportunities: including a former Chalmers brownfield site, former Key Bank, and FGI buildings
- Opportunity Districts
- Historic Main Street Culinary and Hospitality Districts: Energizing Areas and Destinations Around the Pedestrian Bridge
- Chuctanunda Falls District: Repositioning Chuctanunda Falls for tourism and brand building
- Upper Falls Historic Mill District: Catalyzing a Creative and Urban Live/work District
- East Main Street Riverfront District: Utilizing historic walkable street grid and wired and piped buildings to create a Walkable Employment District with Growing Businesses
- Health/ Wellness District and Uptown Commercial Center: Positioning as a Healthy City for Top Health Care Workers and Seniors
- I-90 Corridor Tournament Sport Center: Regional sports facility and commercial district supporting youth sports
- Growing a Regional Food Economy: Building on nationally-known Greek yogurt and baby food production facilities to leverage local food system into broader economic strategy
IMPACT: Vandewalle & Associates helped to identify catalytic projects and first steps for each of these opportunities, along with prioritized workplans. Several of catalytic projects are now moving ahead into planning, funding and developer recruitment phases.